Thursday, March 10, 2011

Music and Memories

Everytime I hear that stupid Taio Cruz song on the radio, I can't help but smile.
Dynamite was THE song of the summer while I worked at Marineland. Every morning on the way to work, I'd hear it on the radio. On the way home, again. Perhaps even during hours I'd hear bits and pieces of it. Now, two seasons later, whenever I think of the light blue water or hear the SWOOSH of the rides, I smile and remember that song. It has woven itself into my memories of working at the park.

My senses have always interwoven themselves with memories, as I'm sure everyone else's does. Smelling a lip balm I used to use brings me right back to the days I spent fawning over my then-boyfriend and the trips to Toronto I used to take, and of the carefree school life I seemed to live, of flip-flops and cool grass under my feet, even the grey jacket I never seemed to take off during that time. Simply thinking about past vacations in South Carolina and Florida, I can very nearly smell the salty-sweet air of the Atlantic ocean. Hearing the screech of metal on metal- specifically that of a subway, and the rush of the wind past your face from the monstrous machine invokes in me a nervous reaction of shaking hands and a rush of blood to the head.

Music, however, has always been infinitely more effective at this than a mere smell or even a touch. Sometimes it's wonderful, everytime I hear the song Mr. Blue Sky by ELO I am reminded instantly of success, simply because the first time I ever heard it was when I got in the car after getting hired for my first job. The song What Else Is There by Royksopp reminds me of a web comic I consumed whilst listening to the band obsessively. However, sometimes it brings heavier thoughts to my mind.

Te Amo, a beautiful song by Rihanna, now gives me the creeps because I first opened my eyes to the MK Ultra mind control horror while listening to it. I cannot even stomach any of Lady Gaga's new material after reading about everything for over a year. For a long time, my very favourite song- Digital Love, by Daft Punk- became taboo because I had dedicated it to my ex-boyfriend.

Every day at work, a particular song comes on, and every time it does my stomach drops and it feels like the world is bearing down on my chest. I can't stand it. To be honest, I didn't like the song when I first heard it, but a certain someone decided it would be our song anyways. He played it for me a few times, and those memories make me want to be sick. It's a sweet song, but it had nothing to do with us. He was disgusting. I've had to excuse myself from situations if the song came on because I can't handle all those memories of him that come with one stupid four minute song. Even now I feel sick.

Right now, I'm obsessed with Ke$ha and Daft Punk's TRON soundtrack. Let's see if any of these songs stick to any memories in the future.

2 comments: